Revised on May 10, 2000
The purpose of the organization committee of the Forum on Thermalism in
Japan (hereafter the Forum) is to allow a union of scholastic socities,
related bodies, and related industries and users involved with health and
thermal springs. This body will be in contact with the civil authorities
and conduct research on various problems involved with thermal springs
and health development of the general populace through exchange of information
and discussion and through this to promote the recognition and enhance
dissemination of correct information to the general populace concerning
thermal springs. It will promote the use of thermal springs by the general
populace and in this manner contribute to the structure of a healthy and
In order to achieve the goals set out in the previous article, the Forum
will engage in the following activities:
1. information exchange concerning thermal springs and health maintenance
2. investigations and research concerning thermal springs and health development
3. diffusion of education concerning thermal springs and health maintenance
4. promotion of health resort use of thermal springs
5. construction of a new media network concerning thermal springs and health
6. promoting the dissemination and performing consultation for health resort
thermal spring facilities
7. broadcast information on Japanese thermal springs to the world
8. create academic papers and a reference library concerning health and
9. any and all other activities necessary to achieve the goals of the Forum
(Structure of the Forum)
The Forum will consist of academics, organizations, groups and administrative
bodies and other individual or groups that agree with the spirit of the
Forum and will consist of the following types of membership. However the
classification of membership, fees etc. will be specified elsewhere.
2. Distinguished members
(Structure of assets)
The assets of the Forum will consist of the following:
1. membership dues
3. income from operations
4. other income
(Administration of assets)
The president shall administer the assets of the Forum and the method of
administration shall be decided on by the Board of Directors.
(Management of expenses)
The expenses of the Forum will be managed based on the assets listed in
The financial year of the Forum shall be from the 1st of April to the 31st
of March of the following year.
The Forum shall have the following officers:
1. emeritus president (1)
2. president (1)
3. vice-presidents (2)
4. permanent directors (a few)
5. directors (a few)
6. auditors (2)
(Committee members with specialized backgrounds)
The president will name committee members with specialized backgrounds
if the need arises.
1. The president, vice-presidents, permanent directors and directors and
auditors shall be elected at the general meeting.
2. The president and vice-presidents can be elected either from among the
permanent directors or directors or from other persons who have academic
(Duties of officers)
1. The president is the representative of the Forum and must be responsible
for the overall running of the organization.
2. The vice-presidents should support the president and have an understanding
of the clerical work of the Forum and be able to act in place of the president
should something befall him or if he is absent.
3. The permanent directors and directors should carry out the official
business of the Forum supporting the president and vice-president.
4. The auditors should review the matters related to the finances.
(Terms of office)
The term of office shall be 2 years but multiple terms are possible.
(Consultants and advisors)
The Forum can have several consultants and advisors.
(Types of meetings)
1. The Forum will hold general meetings, meetings of the permanent directors
and meetings of the Board of Directors.
2. The Forum can establish special committees as necessary. The committee
chairman will be appointed by the president of the Forum after discussion
with the board of permanent directors.
(Convening of meetings)
The president shall convene general meetings and meetings of the board
of permanent directors and board of directors.
(Decisions made at the general meeting)
The general meeting shall decide on the important matters specified elsewhere
in this charter and other matters of importance to the running of the Forum.
(Structure of the board of permanent directors)
The board of permanent directors shall consist of the president, vice-presidents
and permanent directors.
(Matters to be decided at the board of permanent directors meeting)
The board of permanent directors shall decide on matters to be submitted
to the general meeting as well as other matters specified elsewhere in
this charter and also decide on matters related to the execution of the
administration of the Forum.
(Structure of the board of directors)
The board of directors shall consist of the president, vice-president,
permanent directors, directors and auditors.
(Matters to be decided by the board of directors)
The board of directors shall decide upon items to be submitted to the general
(Numbers of meetings and methods of decision-making)
1. The general meeting and the meeting of the board of permanent directors
and the board of directors must be attended by at least half of the members.
However persons who are designated as proxies or written representation
of the opinions of members concerning the points on the agenda, are counted
as being in attendance.
2. Decisions will be made on the basis of a simple majority of those present.
(Applications for membership)
Those who wish to apply to become members should fill out the appropriate
forms and send them together with the membership fee to the president.
The decision to accept the member is made by the board of permanent directors.
(Cessation of membership)
Members can cancel membership by notifying the president. However if any
of the following conditions apply, membership is considered cancelled.
1. dissolution of the Forum
2. failure to pay membership dues by the specified time
3. if the board of permanent directors decide that an individual has damaged
the reputation of the Forum or has transgressed the conditions of this
charter or the decisions of the general meeting, that member's name can
be expunged from the membership.
Members should pay the membership dues within the allotted time. Membership
dues are annual dues to be specified elsewhere.
(Refunding membership dues)
Membership dues and other funds paid to the Forum will not be returned.
1. A secretariat office will be established to carry out the clerical functions
of the Forum.
2. In the secretariat, there will be a secretary general and some employees
3. The president will decide matters related to the secretary general and
(Amendments to the charter)
Changes to this charter cannot be made unless approved by the board of
permanent directors, board of directors and general meeting and by more
than half of the membership.
(Implementation of the charter)
In addition to the matters detailed in this charter, items necessary for
the functioning of the Forum will be decided by the president after a decision
is made by the board of permanent directors.
1. This charter will be implemented from the 5th of November, 1998
2. 1998 will be considered a special financial year running from the 5th
of November, 1998 to the 31st of March, 1999.
3. Amended 10th of May, 2000